There are often times in the lives of all of us when we ask for a discount or a better price.
Well…cables are precisely the type of product on which you should NEVER, EVER ask for or give a discount!
In our sector, but actually, in all sectors where a commodity is involved (COPPER, SILVER, GAS, but also wheat, sugar etc.) the very low margins allow no room for excessive discounts and being able to obtain discounts is almost certainly a warning sign of something “shady”, something strange that could cause irreparable damage to your activity such as:
- A reduction in the safety of the plant
- A reduction in the plant’s performance and efficiency
- Not to mention damage such as overheating, fires, corrosion, short circuits to the various panels, motors or sensors, etc.
- Poor functioning of the plant
- Reduced ROI of the project
- Halting of production or of the production lines in which the cable is installed
If we want to talk about marketing and value, imagine what the direct problems could be for your business;
- Tarnishing of your image
- Damaging of your professional reputation
- Increasing of the probability of quality-related costs.
As I always say, as do some of my tutors, you could save a few euro cents per metre but in the process jeopardise investments of millions of euros or even lose your investment. Why jeopardise your image by buying at a discount and selling unsafe and unreliable products?
Let me give you some sincere and objective advice – think about this! The next time you develop and specify your new project, it could be much better to source a cable with a higher value and add value to your ROI and that of your customer’s plant!